The victims kept arriving - photographer recounts lethal Rio security action
The eyewitness
A photographer who documented the aftermath of a massive law enforcement action in Rio de Janeiro has reported how residents returned with badly injured victims of people who lost their lives.
The casualties "kept coming: the count kept increasing", Bruno Itan stated. The total contained those of police officers.
One individual had been decapitated - others were "completely mutilated", he explained. Many also had evidence of stab wounds.
In excess of 120 victims were fatally injured during the security action targeting an illegal organization - the deadliest such raid in the city.
Bruno Itan stated that residents first notified him to the raid in the early hours by residents living in Alemão, who sent him messages informing him gunfire had erupted.
The reporter went to the healthcare center, where the casualties were coming in.
Itan explained that security forces prevented journalists from going into the operation zone, where the security measures were occurring.
"Security forces formed a line and said: 'Media representatives doesn't get past here'."
However, the photographer, who was raised in the community, reported he managed to gain access past the security perimeter, where he stayed until the next morning.
He explained that evening, local residents started looking the hillside that separates the Penha neighborhood from the neighboring Alemão community for loved ones who had been missing following the security action.
Local people living in Penha arranged the discovered victims in a public space - the documented evidence reveal the emotions of the gathered crowd.
"The brutality of what occurred impacted me deeply: the grief of loved ones, women collapsing, women carrying children, sobbing, outraged parents," the reporter recounted.
The eyewitness
The governor of Rio state stated that the extensive law enforcement effort with approximately 2,500 law enforcement members was aimed at stopping an illegal organization known as the criminal faction from increasing their control.
Initially, the Rio state government stated that sixty individuals plus four law enforcement personnel" lost their lives during the action.
Officials subsequently stated that initial estimates indicates that 117 "suspects" lost their lives.
The public legal service, which provides legal assistance to low-income residents, has put the overall count of people killed at 132.
Based on expert analysis, the criminal organization stands as the sole illegal faction that recently has managed to increase its control throughout Rio state.
It is generally regarded among the biggest criminal organizations nationally, in company with a rival criminal group, with a background spanning over five decades.
Per reporter an expert, who has been covering illegal operations in Rio extensively, the criminal organization "functions as a network" with area gang leaders affiliating with the group and serving as "business partners".
The gang concentrates largely on illegal drug trade, while also dealing in weapons, precious metals, fuel, liquor smoking products.
Per law enforcement statements, gang members possess significant weaponry and officials reported that during the raid, they faced assaults from explosive-laden drones.
The state leader of the state, the government representative, characterized Red Command members as criminal extremists and described the law enforcement personnel who died during the operation as "heroes".
Nevertheless, the total of people killed during the raid has received condemnation from UN human rights officials stating they were "appalled".
During a press briefing on Wednesday, the state leader defended the police force.
"There was no objective to kill anyone. We wanted to take suspects into custody without harm," he said.
He added that the situation intensified as the individuals had retaliated: "It resulted of the counterattack they executed and the disproportionate use of force from the gang members."
The state leader additionally stated that the bodies presented by community members in the area had been "manipulated".
Through a message through digital channels, he said that certain victims had been stripped of military-style attire which he claimed they wore "to redirect responsibility toward law enforcement".
Felipe Curi representing security forces additionally stated that "camouflage clothing, protective equipment, and arms" were taken away from the casualties and showed footage appearing to show an individual removing tactical gear {off a corpse